At the didacta conference, the largest global trade fair for education and training taking place in Stuttgart, Germany, Nextcloud founder and managing director Frank Karlitschek has announced the availability of a Nextcloud application for the Univention Corporate Server (UCS). Easily installable from the extensive Univention App Center, the app offers integration features and is backed by an optional enterprise support offering from Nextcloud GmbH.
Univention and UCS
Univention is a leading supplier of Open Source products for the operation and management of IT infrastructures.
The core product is Univention Corporate Server (UCS), a flexible, cost-efficient and successful alternative to server solutions from Microsoft. UCS includes comprehensive Active Directory functions and an App Center to integrate and operate enterprise applications.
UCS allows web-based IT management and is well suited for organizations of any size, either as a classic server solution, in the cloud or in hybrid IT environments. UCS is designed to operate as part of existing Microsoft infrastructures and supports the easy replacement of Microsoft Windows domains.
The Nextcloud App
If your organization would like the benefits of easy sharing and collaboration on data online as offered by various cloud vendors but needs to stay in control, ensuring no unauthorized access, Nextcloud is what you are looking for. Nextcloud offers a unique-in-the-industry fully open source solution for on-premise data handling and communication with an uncompromising focus on security and privacy.
Nextcloud brings together universal access to data with next-generation secure communication and collaboration capabilities under direct control of IT and integrated with existing compliant infrastructure. Nextcloud’s open, modular architecture, emphasis on security and advanced federation capabilities enable modern enterprises to leverage their existing assets within and across the borders of their organization.
- Easy web UI and clients for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac and Linux
- Easy collaboration and sharing files internally and externally with optionally enforcable password and expiration date
- Audio/video chat built in, optional collaborative office document editing, Outlook integration and more
- External storage support like Windows Network Drive, FTP, WebDAV, NFS and more
- Many passive and active security features like two-factor authentication, brute force protection and CSP 3.0 as well as an audit log
- Full admin control over sharing with File Access Control rules like "DOCX can only be downloaded from within local network" or execute actions if certain conditions are met (like a tag is set)
Learn more about Nextcloud features here.
Compared to other private cloud solutions, Nextcloud offers stronger security measures, with two-factor authentication, brute force protection and many other security protections built in. It is fully open source and the most active file sync and share project being developed.
Nextcloud typically targets organizations from 50 to tens of millions of users in industries including education, government, legal and financial services and manufacturing.
Nextcloud is well integrated in UCS, offering easy installation. The automatic configuration includes:
- Administrator is automatically Nextcloud admin
- Users are enabled to access Nextcloud by default
- Users and Groups can be enabled/disabled in User & Group Settings
- User quota can be configured in User settings
- All User and Group benefits by Nextcloud LDAP Schema
- Web server fully configured and behind stock UCS web server acting as proxy and doing all TLS magic
You can install Nextcloud on your UCS server directly from the Univention App Center. Find more information about the app in the Univention App Catalog.