24th major release fights vendor lock-in with user data export and migration, significantly improves communication and collaboration with chat and on office improvements, adds significant performance improvements for large scale installations
Berlin, May 3, 2022 – continuing on our widely reported complaint to the European Commission about Microsoft’s anti-competitive behavior, in a live video stream on May 3rd at 1 PM, Nextcloud GmbH announced the release of Nextcloud Hub II v24. This release was developed to put pressure on Big Tech firms on a technical level, by empowering users and decentralizing the digital workplace.
Modern business environments require an integrated, hybrid remote-local environment with real-time collaboration and communication while retaining control over location and access to data. Big Tech SaaS vendors fail to deliver, incentivised to build walled gardens and lock in data and users with anti-competitive behavior against smaller, more innovative competitors. The key improvements in this release address these challenges.
Big Tech companies like Microsoft and Google are not keen on a world where users can move easily from one vendor to another. We, on the contrary, have fought for this and with our complaint to the EC and upcoming EU regulations, the pressure is on. This release shows that it can be done – easily moving between clouds, from cloud to on-premises and vice-versa.
— Frank Karlitschek, CEO and founder of Nextcloud GmbH
- Nextcloud users can use the data export feature in their user settings to have a full copy of their data. The user data export is not only important for compliance reasons but a data export can be imported on a different server. This way it can be used to migrate to a different server, move from one provider to another or go from the cloud to on-premises.
- Nextcloud Office introduces a more familiar tabbed menu interface and automatic file locking when documents are edited. Desktop and mobile clients will notify about and enforce these locks, and allow users to manually lock and unlock. This will empower users to move away from proprietary solutions and regain control over their office documents.
- To improve performance for large-scale installations with hundreds of thousands to millions of users, a significant number of changes were made resulting in an up to 4x lower database load. This will empower more large hosting organizations, governments and educational institutions to successfully run their own instances and reduce energy operation costs, to the benefit of the environment.
- Talk facilitates communication over chat with the introduction of reactions and a media tab in the web and mobile interfaces. Desktop integration was improved with the introduction of a call notification where users can pick up or decline a call and the ability to reply directly to chat messages in the notification menu in the desktop client.
- Nextcloud Text introduces tables, info boxes, emoji auto-complete and image drag’n’drop. These features are also present in the Nextcloud knowledge management app Collectives.
- Nextcloud Groupware introduces a new mail composer with scheduled email sending and undo-send, and a calendar invitation management in the web UI.
Dozens more improvements complement the release. This release of Nextcloud Hub II is available immediately for download on nextcloud.com as an All-In-One docker image for fast deployment or a tarball for manual server setup.
About Nextcloud GmbH
Nextcloud Hub is the industry-leading, fully open-source, on-premises team productivity platform, combining the easy user interface of consumer-grade cloud solutions with the security and compliance measures enterprises need. Nextcloud Hub brings together universal access to data through mobile, desktop and web interfaces with next-generation, on-premise secure communication and collaboration features like real-time document editing, chat and video calls, putting them under the direct control of IT and integrated with existing infrastructure.
Nextcloud’s easy and quick deployment, open, modular architecture and emphasis on security and advanced federation capabilities enable modern enterprises to leverage their existing file storage assets within and across the borders of their organization. For more information, visit nextcloud.com or follow @Nextclouders on Twitter.
Phone: +49 (0) 171 121 7528